Friday, 6 August 2010

In this place

There's a wounded hand
Felt a chain
Where the links met up
Round a name
In the faceless age
Cursed and pained
And your windowpane
As the lake
From one hundred friends
Wave them home
As the childhood ends
Turn it fast
As one mild day steals
Someone's soul
Into 20 years
In spirit they've vanished
And I'll show you why
They'll make you take elderly paths by this time
If we were just dolphins
In the sea and fly
It's hard to just kiss our

Child games goodbye



this is a piece called 'spirit they've vanished' from Animal collectives first album 'spirit they're gone spirit they've vanished' its the first song on the album and it does what was intended, it opens the hole thing up. the lyrics are pretty hard to distinguish and you'd understand that fully if you heard the track but its the subtlety that does it for me, these are some of the most emotive deep lyrics avey tare has produced in my opinion, its not about using big words that sound intelligent. its raw emotion, telling of age. growing up. its pretty clear David (avey tare) is coming to terms with the transition from a child to adulthood throughout this album. 'As the childhood ends' 'Turn it fast' 'Into 20 years'. when you really think about it its just incredible. ageing is just the weirdest thing, i look back on the boy i was and still am (its crazy to think you are still that very same body and that very same brain that stimulates every thought), my mind was capable of so little compared to this present moment.
he talks about childhood a lot, he speaks about it being snatched from us basically before were conscious of it its taken from us and we will never have that period back all we will ever have is the present moment and with each present second that passes we are becoming older, age is over ruling and there's nothing we can do to stop it. 'they'll make you take elderly paths by this time' I think hes talking about schools etc that are preparing us for this paths into age. It happens without question, you have a baby you take it to school when its growing and there the cycle starts again and without question (and don't get me wrong its important) but there no say in it all. Its like the world around us its pushing the child out of us there's no time to just bask in it and in this society there never will be.  There's another sentence that sends shivers through me every time i hear it 'if we were just dolphins in the sea and fly' if anyone finds themselves reading this think about that sentence, its not a riddle its just what it reads and when you can read it in that way you'll get it and there so much to get.
 
Everybody will age and with it
 
                                         the child dies.

1 comment:

  1. Feels! You had left me a very awesome long message about these guys on my blog. How I loved it so! I immediately looked up these guys and I instantly liked it. Haha its wonderful how they all have animal names. "Loch raven" is delightful. Their sound is indeed so vast and man oh man it's like nothing I've heard before, which is great, I love being lifted by surprise off bands like these. Anyhow I wanted to thank you for the recommendation because I enjoyed Animal Collective so very much. So so very magical.
    As for this song, its beautiful as well, those lyrics are flawless and I know exactly what it feels like. To have that child dead in one dead, innocence killed by the pace of the world. I remember my childhood as the longest most wonderful days of my life, everthing was pure. I stopped and thought and sighed at that very sentence with the dolphins. I just saw a dolphin show this weekend. I long for that inconditional happiness I could make every morning when I was young. I have a theory myself, that we were wiser when we were younger. We knew excactly what we wanted, now as a teen or as an adult its so confusing to make decitions. Childhood is indeed snatched.
    Anyhow, this lovely. Animal Collective is lovely. I found myself nodding my head along to everything you wrote.
    Thanks again :)
    -Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete